The old Chinese language dates back to about 1200 to 300 BC. The Middle Chinese which was spoken in the 12th Century, evolved from the old Chinese. Cantonese and Mandarin, both are parts of the Middle Chinese language or Min.
In the early 20th Century, the China National language was born as a combination of Beijing dialect and some other dialects. Standard Mandarin is the official language of China, Taiwan and Singapore (which has more than one official language). Chinese Mandarin is also one of the eight official languages of the United Nations. v
1. Language of the Chinese (Huayu 華語)
2. National Language (Guoyu 國語)
3. Common Language (Putonghua 普通话)
Shaolin Temple is one of the best places to learn Chinese Mandarin. We teach vocabulary, reading, writing, conversation and calligraphy.
In Yunnan Shaolin Temple we offer Chinese Mandarin Classes as part of our Curriculum. We follow the HSK which is a standardized system of International Chinese proficiency by Hanban. There are in total of 6 HSK Levels. During one year of study you should expect to be able to cover (as part of the intensive Kung Fu training program) up to level 2 or 3 (depending on your dedication and work).
To start with, we will teach you the pinyin system and how to use it. The use of mind maps is extremely beneficial to be able to construct sentences and learn new words. As we progress into the course, you will also learn characters writing and understanding the radicals, how the words are formed so on.
There are several apps to learn Chinese Mandarin. They are extremely useful because you can access them everywhere and are fun. They offer a more interactive way to learn the language.
2. Pleco – Dictionary, Character Writing, Sentences, Hardwiring recognition,
3. Skitter – Chinese Characters and Writing
4. Games apps: HelloChinese, ChineseSkill, Ninchanese, Clozemaster
5. Apps for Reading Chinese: Du Chinese, The Chairman’s Bao, Decipher Chinese, Manga Mandarin
6. Understand Spoken Chinese: ChinesePod, Chineseclass101, Audible, Bao Bei Ting Ting
7. Chineasy System (chineasy.com)
Calligraphy is taught as part of the Culture Curriculum. For this class is advisable to have basic knowledge of Chinese Mandarin. However you can try the class even if your knowledge is not sufficient.
Often we invite some of the best Masters of Calligraphy in China to keep classes. These way students can learn and understand the art of Calligraphy.